[Lustre-discuss] Lustre on mpath devices

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at thomson.net
Thu Oct 25 13:37:31 PDT 2007

> That depends...  It depends on what "blkid -t LABEL={fsname}-OST0001"
> returns.  It _should_ be smart enough to return the DM device, but
> it is prudent to make sure of this.  There shouldn't be any problem
> with mounting the Lustre filesystems by LABEL= (which is one reason we
> moved to a mount-based setup).

Hi Andreas,

I just checked out my local system and it's returning a regular device name
(/dev/sdh, or /dev/sdi, depending on the label) and a unique UUID, but then
I didn't enable multipath when I built the FS.

If I avoid using the /dev name, is it still possible to build failover
properly if I'm not using the multi-path framework? If it's not, is a
rebuild of the filesystem required in order to enable multi-path support?

Sorry to keep firing questions at you, I'm trying to make sure I've got all
the bases covered for failover.

thanks again,
Klaus