[Lustre-discuss] Lustre Performance

Mark Seger Mark.Seger at hp.com
Mon Oct 29 05:54:56 PDT 2007

Personally I never use the time to write a file as much of an indication
of performance because you never know what was going on between the
endpoints of the test. Rather I run collectl
http://collectl.sourceforge.net/ one one or most OSS nodes and tell it I
want to see lustre data along with CPU and the network. Here's an
example of what collectl would should on an GigE network at the default
rate of once a second. There is currently no lustre I/O:

[root at ibsfs3 ~]# collectl -scln
waiting for 1 second sample...
#<-------CPU--------><-----------Network----------><--------Lustre
OST------->
#cpu sys inter ctxsw netKBi pkt-in netKBo pkt-out KBRead Reads KBWrit Writes
10 3 1452 1173 30 260 25 304 0 0 0 0
6 3 1092 253 3 40 2 29 0 0 0 0
0 0 1059 63 4 61 2 30 0 0 0 0
1 0 1016 52 0 5 0 3 0 0 0 0

In any event, this should at least allow you to verify that the OSSs are
generating data at the expected rates. You really don't need to look at
the network and lustre data since they should be about the same, I
always figure it can't hurt and so include both and if they're ever not
the same something very odd would be going on.

Next you can install collectl onto a client and issue the same command.
Again you should see the expected load which for striped files will be
the load observed above times the number of OSTs. Also the network and
lustre rates should be about the same.

-mark