[Lustre-discuss] Lustre Performance

Robert LeBlanc robert at leblancnet.us
Mon Oct 29 07:15:00 PDT 2007

I wouldn¹t expect much performance difference between NFS and Lustre if you
are only using one OST and you only have one SATA drive on the back end. We
did not find much performance improvement until we had all 64 nodes
hammering Lustre. Our NFS server was constantly at a load of 8 or higher
with one disk and with Lustre we had no load average with four OSTs and four
drives. I would look at adding more OSTs and trying the test again, that is
where Lustre really shines over NFS.

Robert

On 10/29/07 6:17 AM, "Iain Grant" <Iain.Grant at scri.ac.uk> wrote:

> I have been looking into Lustre as an alternative for our shared file system
> on a cluster of about 20+ nodes.
>
> The configuration I am using for Lustre is a system that has a second unused
> sata drive that I have partitioned into
> 1 MDS + MGS drive ( 4Gb )
> 1 OST Drive             (76 Gb )
>
> I am sharing this out to the cluster on it¹s own network interface that I have
> specified in the modprobe.conf file
>
> As the data we are manipulating ranges between 150Mb and 1.1Gb I have been
> timing who long it takes to read and write a 1.1gb file
>
> Basically
>
> Time dd if=/dev/zero of=<lustre fs>/file bs=16k count=65536
>
> And then
>
> Time dd if=<lustre_fs>/file of=/dev/zero
>
> Now to be honest I am not seeing any difference in Lustre compared with NFS
>

>   Testing of five nodes
>                   Lustre    NFS
>   Node    File Size    Method    Count    Time    Speed    Time    Speed
>   1    1.1Gb    Writing    65536    1m48s    9.9 Mb/s    1m45s    10.2 Mb/s
>   2    1.1Gb    Writing    65536    1m52S    9.5 Mb/s    1m42s    10.5 Mb/s
>   3    1.1Gb    Writing    65536    1m53s    9.4 Mb/s    1m44s    10.3Mb/s
>   4    1.1Gb    Writing    65536    1m54s    9.4 Mb /s    1m44s    10.2 Mb/s
>   5    1.1Gb    Writing    65536    1m55s    9.3 Mb/s    1m44s    10.3 Mb/s
>   1    1.1Gb    Reading        1m43s    10.4 Mb/s    1m22s    13.2 Mb/s
>   2    1.1Gb    Reading        1m44s    10.3 Mb/s    1m34s    11.4 Mb/s
>   3    1.1Gb    Reading        1m40s    10.6 Mb/s    1m27s    12.3 Mb/s
>   4    1.1Gb    Reading        1m33s    11.4 Mb/s    1m44s    10.2 Mb/s
>   5    1.1Gb    Reading        1m39s    10.7 Mb/s    1m35s    11.2 Mb/s
>
> Do I need to tweak anything or is this right ?
> I started off just testing one node, then 2 and now 5.
>
> Thanks
>
> Iain
>

> _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
>
> SCRI, Invergowrie, Dundee, DD2 5DA.
> The Scottish Crop Research Institute is a charitable company limited by
> guarantee.
> Registered in Scotland No: SC 29367.
> Recognised by the Inland Revenue as a Scottish Charity No: SC 006662.
>

> DISCLAIMER:
>
> This email is from the Scottish Crop Research Institute, but the views
> expressed by the sender are not necessarily the views of SCRI and its
> subsidiaries.  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential
> to the intended recipient at the e-mail address to which it has been
> addressed.  It may not be disclosed or used by any other than that addressee.
> If you are not the intended recipient you are requested to preserve this
> confidentiality and you must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this
> e-mail in any way. Please notify postmaster at scri.ac.uk quoting the
> name of the sender and delete the email from your system.
>
> Although SCRI has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are
> [...]

Robert LeBlanc
College of Life Sciences Computer Support
Brigham Young University
leblanc at byu.edu
(801)422-1882