[Lustre-discuss] lfs setstripe

Kaizaad Bilimorya kaizaad at sharcnet.ca
Thu Apr 17 07:34:00 PDT 2008

Hello,

I would like to adjust the stripe count for our lustre filesystem. Would
it be better to:

1) Kill all jobs, unmount the lustre filesystem from all clients, and then
    adjust the default stripe count for the lustre filesystem on the MDS
    using lctl.

or

2) Use "find" and the "lfs setstripe" command to traverse and set the
    stripe count for all directories in a currently mounted lustre
    filesystem.

Besides the traversal cost of the filesystem, are there other
disadvantages, performance reasons, or other reasons not to use option 2?

thanks
-k