[Lustre-discuss] state of sun x4500 drivers

Frank Leers Frank.Leers at Sun.COM
Wed Apr 23 13:43:13 PDT 2008

I'd like to offer to debunk some of this...

There are plenty of thumpers (x4500) out there in the wild deployed as
OSSes under lustre.  During a recent deployment using the driver that
was mentioned in another post in this thread, the average single disk
observed performance was just over 60MB/s with sequential 256k reads.

Here's the link to the mv_sata driver, but as you mention you will need
to vary from the stock RPM's and venture into custom kernel-land.

http://www.sun.com/servers/x64/x4500/downloads.jsp

We see close to 1GB/s from a single thumper over IB.  Your bottleneck
will definitely be the bonded gigE, and you will be leaving performance
on the table.

-fank