[Lustre-discuss] stata_mv mv_stata which is better?

Mike Berg mike.berg at sun.com
Thu Aug 7 11:11:12 PDT 2008

Brock,

It is recommended that mv_sata is used on the x4500.

It has been a while since I have built this up myself and a few Lustre
releases back but I do understand the pain. I hope that with Lustre
1.6.5.1 on RHEL 4.5 you can just build mv_sata against the provided
Lustre kernel and alias it accordingly in modprobe.conf and create a
new initrd, then update grub. I don't have gear handy to give it try
unfortunately. Please let me know your experiences with this if you
pursue it.

Enclosed is a somewhat dated document on what we have found to be the
best configuration of the x4500 for use with Lustre. Ignore the N1SM
parts. We optimized for performance and RAS with some sacrifices on
capacity. Hopefully this is a useful reference.

Regards,
Mike Berg
Sr. Lustre Solutions Engineer
Sun Microsystems, Inc.