[Lustre-discuss] LBUG on client: Found existing inode ...?in?lock

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Thu Aug 21 12:11:11 PDT 2008

On Aug 21, 2008  09:59 -0500, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
> <rant>
> I'm going to be an open source curmudgeon for a minute and say that if
> Sun/CFS wants to track customer-specific, sensitive data bugs, they need
> to have a separate system and pay someone to make sure that all internal
> bugs are santized and put into the open source project bug tracker.
>
> Sun/CFS gets a huge mindshare and market acceptance benefit from the
> open source project. Hiding bugs WILL kill that mindshare and
> acceptance benefit. If Lustre isn't a full first class public open
> source project, all the new and really innovative work will get done
> on competing open source filesystems.

<anti-rant>
Note that bugs the Lustre group files are public.  The privacy is only
a choice of the customer.  This was true when we were CFS, and in fact
a lot MORE of the CFS bugs were private because we had to worry more
about keeping our plans/designs closely guarded as a form of financial
security.

Since being part of Sun the Lustre designs and design discussions
are available to the public (e.g. lustre-devel, wiki, public bugs for
feature development, and internal debugging discussions, etc).  In truth,
it hasn't made a huge difference in external contributions to code or
design, because the barrier is more to do with complexity than with
being able to just read the document.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.