[Lustre-discuss] what are the meanings of collectl output for lustre

Mark Seger Mark.Seger at hp.com
Mon Dec 1 10:24:43 PST 2008

xiangyong ouyang wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I'm running collectl to get profiling information about lustre.  I'm
> using lustre   "2.6.18-53.1.13.el5_lustre.1.6.4.3smp", and
> collectl V3.1.1-5 (zlib:1.42,HiRes:1.86)

Just to be clear, collectl is an open source tool that I wrote, one
function of which is to report lustre data that I wanted to report.
> Basically I want to see the metadata information on both client and MDS.
>
> On client side, I run:   "collectl -sL  --lustopts M":
> # LUSTRE CLIENT DETAIL (/sec): METADATA
> #Filsy   KBRead  Reads SizeKB  KBWrite Writes SizeKB  Open Close GAttr
> SAttr  Seek Fsync DrtHit DrtMis
> datafs        0      0      0        0      0      0     3     0     0
>     0     0     0      0      0
> datafs        0      0      0    50169   3915     12     0     3     0
>     0     0     0   3912  12543
> datafs        0      0      0        0      0      0     0     0     0
>     0     0     0      0      0
>
> What are the fileds "DrtHit" and "DrtMis" here?

That said, I'll defer to the lustre experts to define DrtHit/DrtMis, but
if someone can offer better definitions than I have in
http://collectl.sourceforge.net/Data-verbose.html, which shouldn't be
too hard, I'll be happy to update my documentation.
> But On MDS side, when I run
> [wci70-oib:~/tools]collectl -sL
> Error: -sL only applies to MDS services when used with --lustopts D
> type 'collectl -h' for help
>
> Then I run:
> [wci70-oib:~/tools]collectl -sL --lustopts D
> Error: --lustopts D only applies to HP-SFS
> type 'collectl -h' for help

In HP's packaged version of Lustre, called HP-SFS, we had added
additional disk-level statistics that were not part of the standard
Lustre kit and that's what this message is trying to say.  Since you're
not running HP-SFS, you don't get D.  As for -sL with the MDS, the
meaning of detail data in the lustre context is to report data at the
filesystem level.  In the case of the MDS, that data was not available
and so -sL didn't make sense.
-mark