[Lustre-discuss] Updated Kernel Question?

Arden Wiebe albert682 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 23 03:34:24 PST 2008

Will Lustre soon be available with a different kernel for the .rpm's?  I see openSUSE 11.1 now and RedHat is in public beta of 5.3 now.  Updated rpm's would be ideal from a module compilation perspective.

Recently my experience with some of the newer motherboards on the market has not been good in relation to configuring ethernet devices.  So far I have purchased the x2 P5Q motherboards and have continuing problems configuring the atl1e.ko driver to work with Lustre for CentOS 5.2.

Also purchased recently x2 P5Q Premium motherboards and now find that I have the same difficulties with ethernet configuration of the Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 12).

I would imagine a new kernel release is in the works as I have read much of what is available on the wiki :)  In the end the easiest way for me to work around the dated kernel ethernet drivers is to simply purchase more ethernet cards that work with the kernel and in the end that can't be a bad thing for my implementation of Lustre and LNET as eventually I will just have more bonded nics.  Oh I recently found the README.kernel.source so I'll keep on working on resolving how to build against the supplied kernel.