[Lustre-discuss] lctl deactivate questions

Tue Feb 5 08:05:51 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 10:50 -0500, Craig Prescott wrote:

> However, 'lfs df' on the clients does not show
> that the OST is deactivated there, unless we *also*
> run the lctl deactivate there.  Then the OST shows
> up as 'inactive' on the client, and we get the same
> message as above in the client's syslog.

Do you really want the OST deactivated on the clients?  I think your
goal is to effectively remove the OST from further space allocation
decisions, yes?  You still want the data on the OST available to clients
to read or overwrite, correct?  Deactivating on the clients will make
the OST completely unavailable to the clients, even for read operations.

> So I have a question - if I want to deactivate an OST
> (preventing new files from being written to it) while
> I sort out what files to shuffle off of a full OST,
> where should I run 'lctl deactivate'?

On the MDT.  Deactivation on the MDT prevents the MDT from further
allocating objects on it, but does not prevent clients from reading or
writing to existing objects.

b.