[Lustre-discuss] lctl deactivate questions

Craig Prescott prescott at hpc.ufl.edu
Tue Feb 5 07:50:48 PST 2008

Hi;

One of our OSTs filled up.  Once we realized this,
we executed

lctl --device 9 deactivate

on our fs's combo MDS/MGS machine.

We saw in the syslog that the OST in
question was deactivated:

Lustre: setting import ufhpc-OST0008_UUID INACTIVE by administrator request

However, 'lfs df' on the clients does not show
that the OST is deactivated there, unless we *also*
run the lctl deactivate there.  Then the OST shows
up as 'inactive' on the client, and we get the same
message as above in the client's syslog.

So I have a question - if I want to deactivate an OST
(preventing new files from being written to it) while
I sort out what files to shuffle off of a full OST,
where should I run 'lctl deactivate'?  Everywhere?

Thanks,
Craig
---
Craig Prescott