[Lustre-discuss] lustre praise

Aaron Knister aaron at iges.org
Tue Feb 5 12:00:19 PST 2008

Sure thing!

MDS
====

Dell PE2950
2 x Quad Core Xeon 5355
16 GB Ram
Infinihost III DDR HCA
2 x 143GB SAS 13k RPM disks for the metadata volume ( in a hardware
perc5 raid 1)

OSS1
====

Dell PE1950
2 x Dual Core Xeon 5150
16 GB Ram
Infinihost III DDR HCA
3 x MD1000s w/1TB Drives
Each MD1000 is connected to a single perc5 and has two 6tb raid5 arrays.

OSS2
=====

Dell PE1950
2 x Dual Core Xeon 5130
8 GB Ram
Infinihost III DDR HCA
2 x MD1000s w/750GB Drives
Each MD1000 is connected to a single perc6 and has two 4.4tb raid5
arrays.

IMPORTANT --
For a significant increase in read performance run this command on
every block device exported by the perc5/6. A wiki page on the Dell
perc5/md1000 combination could be very useful specifically for this
purpose, or perhaps some mention in the user manual. Am I able to
create wiki pages?

/sbin/blockdev --setra 16384

Thanks again!

-Aaron

On Feb 5, 2008, at 2:43 PM, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> On Feb 05, 2008  09:42 -0500, Aaron Knister wrote:
>> We have a relatively small lustre setup (50TB) with infiniband as the
>> interconnect. Well this morning we saw 1.2Gigabytes per second reads
>> and 500MB/s writes from one client. I literally had to stand up and
>> leave the room. I was absolutely floored. I wanted to thank the
>> lustre
>> developers for their outstanding work and continued dedication to
>> supporting those (like myself) who can't afford a support contract.
>
> Aaron,
> thanks for the positive feedback.  People always have time to
> complain,
> but far fewer take the time to report when things are going well, or
> better than expected.
>
> Can you please elaborate a bit on your system configuration (HCA,
> SDR/DDR,
> switch, CPUs, RAM, #OSS, #OSTs, etc) for reference.
>
> Cheers, Andreas
> --
> Andreas Dilger
> Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
> Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.

Aaron Knister
Associate Systems Analyst
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies

(301) 595-7000
aaron at iges.org