[Lustre-discuss] Some questunes

Mailer PH mail at powhosts.com
Sat Feb 23 03:17:10 PST 2008

I have some basic lustre questunes wich i didnt get answares from lustre official maulals
and think maybee people here allready run into some of those issues and can be of help .

- Asuming an OST is gone and a new server (new install need to replcace it)
On my tests after formating the new OTS with --index=0002 for example
when trying to mount it it cant / error code say that this OST index id allready in use
so i may missing a procedure maybee on the MDT etc..

- I tested the dump/restore utility wich suppose to make a minimal dump including the EA of file systems
the MDT is dumping ok but on the OST it say that the file system isnt supported
I just explore all options of backing up a single OST/MDT drives including LVM backup
but the dump/restore looks better seens its backing up only the data rather then the entire drive

- Just want to make sure that the default policy(if not mentioned otherwise on the format) is not to stipe files
My tests show that this is the case but i just want to make sure
If soo where is the --param="lov.stripe.count=...." need to come ? OST's or MDT
on MDT for example its making the MDT unmoutables

- If i want to stripe a single file i need to create it first (not existing file) so if i create it with a stripe policy then how can
i use the real file with this policy , will overwrite the file with the real file will work ?

Any help will be apruciated .