[Lustre-discuss] 2.6.23 client systems with any compatible server

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Mon Feb 25 11:45:14 PST 2008

On Feb 25, 2008  08:24 -0800, Jim Garlick wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 09:19:27PM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > Could you also elaborate on the "1.6.4.* compatibility issue"?  There
> > shouldn't be any compatibility problems between 1.6 releases, though
> > the current b1_6 development branch has a feature (adaptive timeouts)
> > which is likely to be removed before the final release.  I would suggest
> > getting the specific Lustre release you want by CVS tag (v1_6_4_3 probably)
> > instead of the CVS tip.
>
> Andreas, are you saying adaptive timeouts are likely to be deferred to 1.8?

The recent testing of AT showed quite bad behaviour, so it cannot be
released as-is.  We will have more capability for testing this internally
very soon, and I think that LLNL is also moving to test a newer version
of Lustre so this should allow resolving the issues with adaptive timeouts
more quickly.

For the 1.6.5 release we plan to disable AT only with a configure option
instead of reverting the code entirely (unless of course we get a lot of
testing and some bug fixes very soon).  This will allow testing AT more
easily.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.