[Lustre-discuss] 2.6.23 client systems with any compatible server

Jim Garlick garlick at llnl.gov
Tue Feb 26 08:09:55 PST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:45:14AM -0800, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2008  08:24 -0800, Jim Garlick wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 09:19:27PM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > > Could you also elaborate on the "1.6.4.* compatibility issue"?  There
> > > shouldn't be any compatibility problems between 1.6 releases, though
> > > the current b1_6 development branch has a feature (adaptive timeouts)
> > > which is likely to be removed before the final release.  I would suggest
> > > getting the specific Lustre release you want by CVS tag (v1_6_4_3 probably)
> > > instead of the CVS tip.
> >
> > Andreas, are you saying adaptive timeouts are likely to be deferred to 1.8?
>
> The recent testing of AT showed quite bad behaviour, so it cannot be
> released as-is.  We will have more capability for testing this internally
> very soon, and I think that LLNL is also moving to test a newer version
> of Lustre so this should allow resolving the issues with adaptive timeouts
> more quickly.
>
> For the 1.6.5 release we plan to disable AT only with a configure option
> instead of reverting the code entirely (unless of course we get a lot of
> testing and some bug fixes very soon).  This will allow testing AT more
> easily.

We are keen to get AT working and we anticipated dedicating the bulk of
our test resources and people to stablizing and hardening a release including
AT over the next four months.

Is there a projected date for 1.6.5 release, or would it be possible to
modify 1.6 plans to include a 1.6.6 release that does not release until AT
works?

We would very much like to see it in a 1.6 release as opposed to 1.8 which
includes so many other new things.

Jim