[Lustre-discuss] Some questunes

Mailer PH mail at powhosts.com
Mon Feb 25 13:29:39 PST 2008

Thanks ,

> You need to use --write-conf.

On the MTD ? or on all OST's ?

> Hrm.  I'm not sure if you are asking what I think you are asking, but
> you can create a file with a specific policy with "lfs setstripe".

I meant that it is not possible to stripe existing file , just to create new file
So i was wondering what is a best practic for stripe existing file
It doesnt matter that the file will get the new setting from this point on as long as it will get the stripe config at the end

Thanks ,

On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 13:17 +0200, Mailer PH wrote:

> - Asuming an OST is gone and a new server (new install need to
> replcace it)
> On my tests after formating the new OTS with --index=0002 for example
> when trying to mount it it cant / error code say that this OST index
> id allready in use
> so i may missing a procedure maybee on the MDT etc..

You need to use --write-conf.

> - Just want to make sure that the default policy(if not mentioned
> otherwise on the format) is not to stipe files

That is correct.  Striping certainly helps in particular situations, but
is not a good general default for all files.

> - If i want to stripe a single file i need to create it first (not
> existing file) so if i create it with a stripe policy then how can
> i use the real file with this policy , will overwrite the file with
> the real file will work ?

Hrm.  I'm not sure if you are asking what I think you are asking, but
you can create a file with a specific policy with "lfs setstripe".

b.