[Lustre-discuss] Some questunes

Mon Feb 25 13:56:57 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 23:29 +0200, Mailer PH wrote:
> Thanks ,

NP.

> On the MTD ? or on all OST's ?

On whatever node you are trying to re-use/re-deploy.  I'm afraid I
forget the context of your original question.

> I meant that it is not possible to stripe existing file ,

Right.  Once a file is created, you cannot change it's striping policy
without re-creating it.  You could achieve that with a simple:

$ lfs setstripe foo <stripe params>
$ cp $file foo
$ mv foo $file

> just to create new file

Right.

> So i was wondering what is a best practic for stripe existing file

As above.

> It doesnt matter that the file will get the new setting from this
> point on as long as it will get the stripe config at the end

No, that is not supported.  A file has to have a consistent striping
policy from start to end which is why you cannot specify the striping on
an existing file using lfs setstripe.

b.