[Lustre-discuss] How to configure routing

Herb Wartens wartens2 at llnl.gov
Wed Jan 16 14:07:37 PST 2008

IMHO it would be better for you to set up host routing (or whatever it
is that you wanted) to be ablr to route between these networks.  It would
be best to avoid the routing code if it is possible since you would be introducing
some new problems by having the routing turned on.
With routing enabled you would not have immediate notification that a server went down
for example.  This causes longer delays on the client when doing things like failover
since you would have to wait for a timeout to occur before the client would actually
try the failover server.  I think with the adaptive timeouts this could be resolved,
but I think that things like this would be better to avoid if you don't especially
need to use it IMHO (we mainly use it here to route between different transports
ethernet to infiniband for example).

- -Herb