[Lustre-discuss] Off-topic: largest existing Lustre file system?

Tom.Wang Tom.Wang at Sun.COM
Thu Jan 31 13:11:43 PST 2008

Marty Barnaby wrote:
> I concur that at 160, my processor count was low. At the time, I had
> access to as many as 1000 on our big Cray XT3, Redstorm, but now it is
> not available to me at all. Through my trials, I found that, for
> appending to a single, shared file, matching the lfs maximum stripe
> count of 160, with the equivalent job size was the only combination
> that got me this up to this rate. My interest in this case ends here,
> because real usage involves processor counts in the thousands.
>
> I'm not certain about the distinctions of collective I/O and shared
> files. It seems the latter is to be determined by the application
> authors and their users. With, for instance, a mesh-type application,
> there might be trade-offs; but having, at least, all the data for one
> computed field or dynamic, for one time step that is saved to the
> output (we usually calls these dumps), stored in the same file is
> regularly more advantageous for the entire work cycle. Actually,
> having all the output data in a single file seems like the most
> desirable approach.
>
> Though MPI-IO independent writing operations can be on the lowest
> level, mustn't there still be some global coordination to determine
> where each processors chunk of a communicators complete vector of
> values is written, respectively, in a shared file? Further, what we
> now call two-phase aggregation, as a means of turning many, tiny
> block-size writes into a small number of large ones to leverage the
> greater efficiency of the FS to respond to this type of activity, has
> potential benefits. However, I've seen the considerable ROMIO
> provisions for this technique used incorrectly, delivering a decrease
> in performance.
The collective I/O should reorganize the data among the I/O nodes to
some kind of pattern the bottom file system prefer, IMHO.
As for lustre, sometimes it is sensitive to the I/O size(or alignment).
especially for redstorm, since no client cache, and client
just throw the I/O req to server as soon as it gets from the
application. So collective I/O is the only layer I/O req might be
optimized in the client, except the application. But current two-phase
aggregagation does not consider too much about the
specification information from the file system.  for example it splits
data evenly to all the I/O clients, instead of considering
stripe-size(alignment) and which OST the data goes to (sometimes, even
client I/O load != even OST I/O load); improper use of
read-modify-write in data_sieving somtimes; no collection for
non-interleave data.

Our current experience is that be careful of using collective_io and
data_sieving, except we are very clear about
how adio driver will reorganize your data. For example, for HDF5 lib,
mpiposix(no collective and data_sieve) layer is favorable.
But I do agree with Shane,  the collective I/O with HDF5, pNetCDF should
be the way moving forward.

WangDi