[Lustre-discuss] duplicate

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Sat Jul 5 09:44:58 PDT 2008

On Jul 04, 2008  17:27 +0200, Papp Tamas wrote:
> Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 16:34 +0200, Papp Tamás wrote:
> >> Is it possible to duplicate  some files or files in a directory on
> >> nodes, or something like that?
> >>

> >> So if I write a file make it available on node1 and node2, if node1 is
> >> died, I can find it on node2.
> >
> > Your question is not making much sense to me.  Let me say that Lustre is
> > a distributed filesystem.  All files are available to all (client)
> > nodes.
>
> I'd like this from
> http://osdir.com/ml/file-systems.lustre.user/2007-12/msg00010.html:
>
> >/> Is it possible to configure Lustre to write Objects to more than 1 node /
> >/> simultaneously such that I am guaranteed that if one node goes down that /
> >/> all files are still accessible?/
> >/ That's called RAID, and right now, no.  It's on the roadmap though./
>
> Is it available already. Can I check the roadmap somewhere? On clusterfs.com
> it was accessible easily, but on sun.com I don't find it.

The Server Network Striping project has been put on hold, due to complexity
of the design required to allow asynchronous writes to work with RAID-5/6
type layouts (data + parity).  There has been some discussion about
implementing only RAID-1 (mirroring), but whether that becomes a feature
that is implemented depends on how many customers are interested in using
RAID-1.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.