[Lustre-discuss] gcc Versions

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Mon Jul 21 15:44:05 PDT 2008

On Jul 21, 2008  13:30 -0400, Roger Spellman wrote:
> Are there some versions of gcc that are recommended for building the
> kernel and Lustre, and others that should be avoided?

We generally use the GCC shipped with each distro.  This ensures minimal
differences between the kernels we build and the vendor kernels, as
well as limiting "spurious" warning messages from newer GCCs running on
older kernels.  Using the same version of GCC is mandatory for building
patchless clients (the modules will refuse to load otherwise).

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.