[Lustre-discuss] gcc Versions

David Brown dmlb2000 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 17:21:09 PDT 2008

> We generally use the GCC shipped with each distro.  This ensures minimal
> differences between the kernels we build and the vendor kernels, as
> well as limiting "spurious" warning messages from newer GCCs running on
> older kernels.  Using the same version of GCC is mandatory for building
> patchless clients (the modules will refuse to load otherwise).

Yeah the correct versions of gcc can be tricky, just some example
distro's and default gcc versions they use to build the kernel:
debian sid: gcc-4.1 (even though gcc-4.3 is default)
debian lenny: gcc-4.1
rhel5/centos5: gcc-4.1.2
rhel4/centos4: gcc-3.4.6

Basically good bet is anything gcc 4.1 or gcc 3.4.

Thanks,
- David Brown