[Lustre-discuss] 1.6.5.1 OSS crashes

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Mon Jul 28 07:17:37 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 09:49:12AM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 12:56 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
> > Robin,
> >
> > Thankyou very much for helping with this.
> >
> > I want to try kernel 2.6.25 or even 2.6.26. But its not a big deal, I
> > just patched my distro kernel and everything seems to work well.
> > I am hoping in the future lustre will become a deamon or a module
> > instead of patching the actual kernel source code. This is causing too
> > many pains
>
> Seriously, this whole thing is a lot, lot, less painful if you just run
> one of our supported distros on your MDS and OSSes (i.e. you can simply
> install RPMs to get up and going).  Your MDS and OSS should be "sealed
> server" type dedicated machines that do nothing else but serve metadata
> and file objects (respectively) so getting a bleeding edge kernel on
> them should not be a requirement.

Maybe a lot less painful for Sun support ;) .. But what if you need a new RDMA NIC
driver that actually *works* in 2.6.26, and is completely busted in a
vendor/distro kernel.

Is Debian a supported distro? And if not, why? It seems that making
debian policy compliant Lustre server packages would be a good excercise
for code and packaging quality.

I haven't keep up on linux-kernel lately, but is there some fundamental
reason that Lustre *still* requires kernel patches that don't have a
path into the mainline kernel tree?