[Lustre-discuss] 1.6.5.1 OSS crashes

Mon Jul 28 06:49:12 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 12:56 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
> Robin,
>
> Thankyou very much for helping with this.
>
> I want to try kernel 2.6.25 or even 2.6.26. But its not a big deal, I
> just patched my distro kernel and everything seems to work well.
> I am hoping in the future lustre will become a deamon or a module
> instead of patching the actual kernel source code. This is causing too
> many pains

Seriously, this whole thing is a lot, lot, less painful if you just run
one of our supported distros on your MDS and OSSes (i.e. you can simply
install RPMs to get up and going).  Your MDS and OSS should be "sealed
server" type dedicated machines that do nothing else but serve metadata
and file objects (respectively) so getting a bleeding edge kernel on
them should not be a requirement.

b.