[Lustre-discuss] multiple OSTs accessing the same shared storage simultaneously?

Aaron Knister aaron.knister at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 06:44:37 PDT 2008

My question is- why are you running the components using VMware? I predict
that you're actually going to hurt your performance given this setup. Lustre
will use every little bit of computing power it can get on the OSSs (and
even your cat if you let it) and if you're sharing physical hardware between
OSSs and clients I think you'll experience strong resource contention. I
would also encourage you not to run the MDS through a VM. The MDS is very
sensitive to latency (particularly disk latency) and I think the latency
introduced by VMware would hurt your performance. If you're concerned with
failover then I would use lustre's builtin failover mechanisms- they're very
robust. I would also encourage against using the 40 virtual lustre clients.
Why not use physical clients? You're performance will be much much better.
Throw in an infiniband fabric and you'll get some killer performance.

Oh and to answer your question- an OST cannot be mounted twice
simoltaneously.

Aaron