[Lustre-discuss] Mirroring lustre distfiles

Jimmy Tang jtang at tchpc.tcd.ie
Thu Jul 31 06:06:55 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 08:59:17AM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 02:07 -0400, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > On Jul 23, 2008  10:28 +0000, Piotr Jaroszy??ski wrote:
> > > is it allowed to mirror lustre distfiles? I'm preparing Gentoo ebuilds
> > > and am not sure whether I should force users to download them
> > > manually.
> > > Also, is the license just GPL-2 or did I miss something?
> >
> > Lustre is GPL v2, you can do whatever the license allows you to do,
> > which includes redistribution.  There is already a Debian packaging
> > of Lustre.
>
> I may have been interpreting him incorrectly but I thought his question
> was can he redistribute the packages we produce?  i.e. download from
> SDLC and then host and redistribute those packages.
>
> I'm not sure that that changes Andreas' answer or not, but just wanted
> to clarify.  I don't know if resulting RPMs themselves can have a
> licence any different than that which they package.  An interesting
> thing to ponder.

I'd also like to know the legal status of redistributing the binary
packages/rpms etc... I can see our site using the rpm's in our local rpm
repos for automatically updating machines and installing new machines.

since we also roll our own scientificlinux site for redistribution for
our users, it would be nice if we could throw lustre in as well to give
people a choice.

Thanks,
Jimmy

--
Jimmy Tang
Trinity Centre for High Performance Computing,