[Lustre-discuss] Lustre Mount Crashing

Charles Taylor taylor at hpc.ufl.edu
Mon Jun 2 08:02:11 PDT 2008

We lost our MDS/MGS to a power failure yesterday evening.     Just to
be safe, we ran e2fsck on the combined MDT/MGT and there were only a
couple of minor complaints about HTREE issues that it fixed.    The
MDT/MGT now fsck's cleanly.     The problem is that, despite the clean
e2fsck, the MGS is crashing in the lustre mount code when attempting
to mount the MDT.

It is a scratch file system so it is not backed up.   Still, it is a
pain to lose the data.    I'm assuming this is not normal and there is
not much in the manual about doing anything more than e2fsck but I
want to ask if anyone else has seem something like this before and
might have some additional suggestions before I trash the data and
reformat the file system.

Thanks,

Charlie Taylor
UF HPC Center