[Lustre-discuss] Performance parameters

Enrico Morelli morelli at cerm.unifi.it
Wed Jun 11 00:49:21 PDT 2008

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:10:03 -0400
"Brian J. Murrell" <Brian.Murrell at Sun.COM> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 17:59 +0200, Enrico Morelli wrote:
> >
> > Ok, I'm sorry but our real problem is that the system is very slow
> > when the user perform 'ls' or shell commands that require access to
> > metadata infos. We have about 30 person that access simultaneously
> > to the system.
>
> What storage system(s) do you have behind your MDS(es) and OSS(es) and
> how are they connected?  What kind of interconnect do you have between
> your clients and your MDS(es) and OSS(es)?

The lustre server (MDS and OSS) is an HP DL380 G5 (Dual Xeon 5130 2GHz,
2GB RAM) connected through an HP P800 Sata/SAS controller to an HP MSA60
storage equipped with 7x500GB SATA disk in RAID 6. The server is
connected to an HP Procurve gigabit switch with a fibre channel, the
clients are connected to the same switch with 1mt network cable
category 7.

> > What we can do to speed-up the system to solve this problem?
>
> You could try increasing the lru cache
> (/proc/fs/lustre/ldlm/namespaces/<osc>/lru_size) on your clients.
>
> > Adding another MDT can help?
>
> You cannot have more than 1 MDT at this time.
>
> b.

       (o_
(o_    //\  Coltivate Linux che tanto Windows si pianta da solo.
|     ENRICO MORELLI         |  email: morelli at CERM.UNIFI.IT       |
| *     *       *       *    |  phone: +39 055 4574269             |
|  University of Florence    |  fax  : +39 055 4574253             |
|  CERM - via Sacconi, 6 -  50019 Sesto Fiorentino (FI) - ITALY    |