[Lustre-discuss] Performance parameters

Wed Jun 11 05:54:41 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 09:49 +0200, Enrico Morelli wrote:

> The lustre server (MDS and OSS) is an HP DL380 G5 (Dual Xeon 5130 2GHz,
> 2GB RAM) connected through an HP P800 Sata/SAS controller to an HP MSA60
> storage equipped with 7x500GB SATA disk in RAID 6.

So you have one single RAID6 volume that you have sliced up for the MDT
and OSTs?

That configuration is going to provide a lot of contention between the
MDT and OSTs as you have created a single "device" for everything and
are losing out on the possibilities of parallelism.

Lustre's ability to shine depends on it's components having dedicated
access to discrete devices so that it can exploit the parallelism of
them.

Lustre also shines in very scalable, high throughput situations.  It is
not optimized for the "lots of small files" situation.  Lots of memory
for caching is your best bet in the "lots of small files" and 2GB of RAM
for the MDS and OSS are not very much.

Can I ask why you chose Lustre as a solution to provide file service to
a single RAID6 volume of only 7 disks @ 3.5TB on a single server?
Lustre really is not going to shine in that configuration.

b.