[Lustre-discuss] What do I need if I want to install lustre on ubuntu 8.04

Robert LeBlanc robert at leblancnet.us
Fri Jun 13 08:30:25 PDT 2008

On 6/10/08 9:34 AM, "Jmlover" <Jmlover at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I input the command " apt-cache search lustre ", it gives me the
> list of the package names including   liblustre, linux-patch-lustre,
> lustre-dev, lustre-source and lustre-utils. Do these packages enough
> for me to install both Lustre server and client??
>
> Thank you!

The procedure is much the same as Debian, but the documentation is horrible.
Here is the idea, we've had to edit some patches at times to make it work
because things were missing.

Apt-get all the luster packages, the kernel-source package, module-assistant
(should be already installed), kernel-package, fakeroot, and
build-essentials.

A kernel tar will be in /usr/src, untar it and run make menuconfig, or
whatever to configure your kernel. I usually just copy my old config from
/boot/<kernel-version>.conf to .config.

Then compile your kernel with something like:

CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=10 fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --with-patches lustre
binary

*I would not recommend using --append-to-version as the lustre patches can
not handle finding the right kernel patches with stuff appended to the
version. This is a bug and I asked one of my workers to file a Debian bug
for it. The best place to fix it would be upstream though.

CONCURRENCAY_LEVEL is the same as make -j and will use multiple processors
to compile the kernel. I highly recommend using that to cut your compile
time down. After your kernel builds fine install the new kernel package that
is in /usr/src and reboot. Once you have rebooted then run module-assistant
to build the Lustre modules.

m-a auto-install lustre

This will build the modules and install them for you. Now follow the
instructions on the Lustre website to set up your servers and clients. Since
we built a nice deb package for the kernel, we usually install it on all of
our clients, but you could get away with a patchless config (haven't done it
though).

There may be some errors in my instructions above as it has been many months
since I've done it. Also Open-IB is a pain in the neck to get to work since
the whole project is Red Hat based. We usually cheat by getting their source
RPM with all the patches already done, get a Debian kernel with the same
version and make a patch file, then apply that to the kernel source right
before make-kpkg command.

Hope that helps.

Robert

--