[Lustre-discuss] What do I need if I want to install lustre on ubuntu 8.04

Brendan P. Caulfield brendan at stream16.com
Fri Jun 13 09:17:42 PDT 2008

I just went down this road and ended up reverting back to a 2.6.22 kernel
and using the patchless client.  Below are the steps I have used to get
this working successfully.

1. Install the following packages: kernel-package, module-assiatnt,
dpatch, libncurses5-dev, lustre-source, lustre-utils.

- there may be more packages necessary but I use a preseeded install and
these were the packages I was missing.

2. Download the 2.6.22-19 kernel source from kernel.org and untar into
/usr/src.

3. Copy the running config to the 2.6.22 kernel directory - "cp
/boot/config-`uname -r` /usr/src/<kernel_source_dir>/.config"

4. run "make menuconfig" from with the kernel source directory and make
any changes that you need.  You do not need any modifications for lustre.
Save the config.

5. Build the kernel packages:

- make-kpkg clean
- make-kpkg --append-to-version=-<whatever_you_want> kernel_image --initrd
binary

6. You will now have several new .deb packages in /usr/src.  Install them.
You can use these packages on other Ubuntu boxes and skip steps 1 - 5 on
subsequent servers. Don't forget to update /boot/grub/menu.lst if you want
to boot this kernel by default.

7. Reboot

8. Now build the lustre modules:

- m-a update
- m-a a-i lustre

9. Reboot and mount your filesystems (i.e. mount -t lustre
server at tcp0:/location/of/filesystem /local/mount/point)

Building the lustre modules (step 8) will also create a .deb in /usr/src.
You can use this on subsequent server build as well thus eliminating the
need for step 8 in future installs.

Hope this helps. I spent a lot of time getting the client working the way
I wanted and this is working for me.

Thanks,

-brendan