[Lustre-discuss] MDS disk recmendations

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Mon Jun 16 11:00:56 PDT 2008

Configuring a new MDS/MGS machine for our full blown lustre setup.
OST's are x4500's following the layout of the sun paper on the lustre
wiki.

This paper does not talk about the MDS though.  We have a sun 2540
with 12 15K 300 GB drives.

We plan to use 4 drives  in a 1+0  with the rest being spares.  What
I am curious about are the following options

Stripe size,
Readahead on the MDS Raid

I did not find anything in the manual about this, other than disable
readahead on DDN hardware but that sounded like OST's  not MDS.

Also (not lustre related)  if someone at sun is listening CAM is
awful. But I will bring that up with our sales guy.

Thanks!

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Center for Advanced Computing