[Lustre-discuss] Gluster then DRBD now Lustre?

Kilian CAVALOTTI kilian at stanford.edu
Mon Jun 16 11:55:12 PDT 2008

On Monday 16 June 2008 11:40:40 am Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > NYC == New York City?  What
> > is SJC?
>
> SJC == San Jose, California

That's why I thought, but if so, the following part loses me:

> This is working in a test setup, however there are some down sides.
> The first is that DRBD only supports IP, so we have to run IPoIB over
> our our infiniband adapters, not an ideal solution.

Nathan, you won't be able to use Infiniband between Ney Work City and
San Jose, CA, anyway, right? Even without considering IB cables' length
limitation, and unless you can use some kind of dedicated,
special-purpose link between your sites, the public Internet is not
really able to provide bandwidth nor latencies compatible with
Infiniband standards.

IP is probably your best bet, here, and DRBD would probably be an
appropriate candidate for this kind of job. Although, you probably
don't want your synchronization data unencrypted over the public pipes,
and you may need an extra VPN-ish layer to ensure data confidentiality.

Cheers,
--
Kilian