[Lustre-discuss] Gluster then DRBD now Lustre?

nathan at robotics.net nathan at robotics.net
Mon Jun 16 14:36:47 PDT 2008

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Kilian CAVALOTTI wrote:

> On Monday 16 June 2008 11:40:40 am Andreas Dilger wrote:
>>> NYC == New York City?  What
>>> is SJC?
>>
>> SJC == San Jose, California
>
> That's why I thought, but if so, the following part loses me:
>
>> This is working in a test setup, however there are some down sides.
>> The first is that DRBD only supports IP, so we have to run IPoIB over
>> our our infiniband adapters, not an ideal solution.
>
> Nathan, you won't be able to use Infiniband between Ney Work City and
> San Jose, CA, anyway, right? Even without considering IB cables' length
> limitation, and unless you can use some kind of dedicated,
> special-purpose link between your sites, the public Internet is not
> really able to provide bandwidth nor latencies compatible with
> Infiniband standards.

Ok, so in the original email east to west was what we originally wanted to
do but realized that would not be possible because of round trip delay
even over gig e. Instead of mirroring our traffic east west we are starting
with 2 servers in each location tied together with Infiniband. The
infiniband cables are only 5M. : ) Currently we are mirroring traffic with
DRBD between the two local systems in each datacenter, but we are looking
for the tradeoffs of switching to Lustre since DRBD does not support
Infiniband.

-Nathan