[Lustre-discuss] Gluster then DRBD now Lustre?

Tue Jun 17 07:07:49 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 16:36 -0500, nathan at robotics.net wrote:

> Ok, so in the original email east to west was what we originally wanted to
> do but realized that would not be possible because of round trip delay
> even over gig e.

You have a dedicated gige pipe from the east coast to the west coast?
What's it's RTT?  But yes, doing block device mirroring over that
distance would be prohibitive.

>  Instead of mirroring our traffic east west we are starting
> with 2 servers in each location tied together with Infiniband. The
> infiniband cables are only 5M. : ) Currently we are mirroring traffic with
> DRBD between the two local systems in each datacenter, but we are looking
> for the tradeoffs of switching to Lustre since DRBD does not support
> Infiniband.

As Cliff has said, Lustre is not a mirroring technology.  It's a global
filesystem.  In the future, we will have replication abilities to
achieve the sort of goal you are trying to work towards currently, which
is "loose" mirroring over large distances (read: latencies).

b.