[Lustre-discuss] Gluster then DRBD now Lustre?

Tue Jun 17 07:10:43 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 08:51 -0500, nathan at robotics.net wrote:

> So any node does you lose the data?

I will parse that as "so if you lose any node, you lose data?" and the
answer to that is yes.  If you lose an OST, you lose data.  If you lose
the MDT you lose the entire filesystem.  Lustre assumes that the storage
you assign to it to manage is reliable.  That is, when you create an OST
or MDT, we very strongly suggest you create it out of some sort of
reliable storage like RAID 1/5/6 for an OST and RAID 1 for an MDT.

> The plan is to add more and more servers, so the hope was to be able to
> start with 2 and get some redundancy and then grow.

Lustre will give you that ability.

b.