[Lustre-discuss] Lustre SNMP module

Kilian CAVALOTTI kilian at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 10 13:11:10 PDT 2008

Hi Klaus,

On Friday 07 March 2008 05:52:51 pm Klaus Steden wrote:
> I was asking that same question a few months ago.

Yes, I remember you haven't been overwhelmed by answers. :\

> I can send you my
> 1.6.2 spec file for reference ... That version also did not bundle
> the SNMP library, so I ended up building it by recompiling the whole
> set of Lustre RPMs to get what I needed, and then just dropped the
> DSO in place.

That's exactly what I did, finally.

> I'm curious as to what metrics you see to be useful -- I wasn't sure
> what to look for, so while I installed the module, I haven't yet
> thought of good things to ask of it.

So, from what I've seen in the MIB, the current SNMP module mainly
report version numbers and free space information.

I think it would also be useful to get "activity metrics", the same kind
of information which is in /proc/fs/lustre/llite/*/stats on clients (so
we can see reads/writes and fs operations rates),
in /proc/fs/lustre/obdfilter/*/stats on OSSes and
in /proc/fs/lustre/mds/*/stats on MDSes.

Actually, all the /proc/fs/lustre/*/**/stats could be useful, but I
guess what precise metric is the most useful heavily depends on what
you want to see. :)

Cheers,
--
Kilian