[Lustre-discuss] HW experience

Kilian CAVALOTTI kilian at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 26 20:37:32 PDT 2008

Hi Martin,

On Wednesday 26 March 2008 04:53:31 Martin Gasthuber wrote:
>   we would like to establish a small Lustre instance and for the OST
> planning to use standard Dell PE1950 servers (2x QuadCore + 16 GB Ram)
> and for the disk a JBOD (MD1000) steered by the PE1950 internal Raid
> controller (Raid-6). Any experience (good or bad) with such a config ?

I also have a 50TB Lustre setup based on this hardware: 8 PE1950 OSSes
connected to two MD1000 OSTes each. The MDS uses a MD3000 as a MDT for
high-availability (redundancy is not currently in use, though, I never
managed to get it working reliably).

Can't say much about the PERC6 controller, since I'm using its older
brother PERC5, but memory wise, you should be good with 16B. We planned
4GB per OSS (2xOST each) at the beginning, but we had to double that to
avoid memory exhaustion [1]. It will depend on the load induced by the
clients, though.

MD1000s' performance is great as long as you set the read-ahead settings as
Aaron mentioned.

/scratch $ iozone -c -c -R -b ~/iozone.xls -C -r 64k -s 24m -i 0 -i 1 -i
2 -i8 -t50
"Throughput report Y-axis is type of test X-axis is number of processes"
"Record size = 64 Kbytes "
"Output is in Kbytes/sec"

"  Initial write " 1317906.72
"        Rewrite " 2423618.81