[Lustre-discuss] Porting

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Fri May 9 02:10:19 PDT 2008

On May 08, 2008  12:44 +0530, ashok bharat bayana wrote:
> I require lustre 1.4.11 client to compile on rhel 5.1, but in the series file it is mentioned that rhel5.1 kernel is not supported for this. but it compiles on rhel4
>
> So the solution what I was thinking is go for porting in which, the source code of rhel5.1 should be changed accordingly to the rhel4 for succesful compilation.
> Is it possible?

Anything is possible, but success is difficult and unlikely in this task.

The 1.6 code does not have VFS patches for the client (due to patchless
client operation), but 1.4 does not work with unpatched client kernel.

Note that it is fine to use 1.6.x clients with 1.4.11 servers, and if
you really need to use RHEL 5.1 with 1.4 servers this is the route I'd
suggest.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.