[Lustre-discuss] Benchmarking small file performance

Balagopal Pillai pillai at mathstat.dal.ca
Sat May 17 14:54:19 PDT 2008

On Sat, 17 May 2008, Andreas Dilger wrote:
I don't have the numbers anymore, i did the benchmark almost an year ago
to decide between gfs and lustre. I remember when the filesize was close
to 1 MB, the performance of lustre started picking up and became closer
to gfs and nfs. The default file size of postmark is quite small, more in line with a regular
maildir setup
and text only emails. The lru size also had an effect and once that is
bumped up, as mentioned in the manual and wiki, the number of files that
is used by postmark can be increased without a big penalty. In the
default settings for very small files, the results are worse than nfs.
Lustre could still be a good choice for mail servers that use mbox, but
for maildir i am not so sure.

Regards
Balagopal