[Lustre-discuss] setquota fails

Andrew Perepechko Andrew.Perepechko at Sun.COM
Fri Nov 28 09:06:33 PST 2008

Thomas,

setquota (from quota-tools) would not work with Lustre filesystems, so
you cannot run it like "~#  setquota -u troth 0 0 0 0 /lustre".

lfs can be used either to set quota limits or to reset them and
" ~#  lfs setquota -u troth 0 0 0 0 /lustre" is the correct way to
reset quotas.

AFAIU, the cause of "Device or resource busy" when setting quota
in your case could be that MDS was performing setquota or quota recovery
for the user roth. Could you check whether MDS is stuck inside
mds_set_dqblk or mds_quota_recovery functions (you can dump
strack traces of running threads into kernel log with alt-sysrq-t provided
sysctl variable kerne.sysrq equals 1)?

Andrew.