[Lustre-discuss] setquota fails

Thomas Roth t.roth at gsi.de
Fri Nov 28 06:50:51 PST 2008

Hi all,

on an empty and unused Lustre 1.6.5.1 system I cannot reset or set the
quota:
 >  ~# lfs quota -u troth /lustre
 > Disk quotas for user troth:
 >      Filesystem  kbytes   quota   limit   grace   files   quota
limit   grace
 >         /lustre       4  3072000  309200               1   11000   10000
 > MDT0000_UUID
 >                       4*              1               1            6400
 > OST0000_UUID
 >                       0           16384

Try to reset this quota:
 > ~#  lfs setquota -u troth 0 0 0 0 /lustre
 > setquota failed: Device or resource busy

Use "some" values instead:
 > ~# lfs setquota -u troth 104000000 105000000 100000 100000 /lustre
 > setquota failed: Device or resource busy

I know the manual says not to use "lfs setquota" to reset quotas but -
that is yet another question - of course there is a command "setquota",
but it doesn't know about Lustre
 > ~#  setquota -u troth 0 0 0 0 /lustre
 > setquota: Mountpoint (or device) /lustre not found.
 > setquota: Not all specified mountpoints are using quota.
as is to be expected. Mistake in the manual?

However I'm mainly interested in what causes my system to be busy, when
it is not - no writes, not even reads.
I did rerun "lfs quotacheck", but that didn't help, either.

Anybody got any hints what to do to manipulate quotas?

Thanks,
Thomas