[Lustre-discuss] Installation of Lustre on ubuntu /Debian

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Wed Sep 10 23:51:18 PDT 2008

On Sep 10, 2008  18:11 +0200, Bernd Schubert wrote:
> there is already a debian way to
> create packages. Actually in Lenny all packages are included and only the
> kernel modules have to be build, but even that can be easily done
> by "aptitude install lustre-source". And then building the modules with
> make-kpkg. Well o.k., I see your point when it comes to build a new lustre
> version, which is not in -stable yet. But for that there is always the
> possibility to backport the stuff from Debian Sid (unstable).

My point is that personally I like to be able to "make rpms" from the
Lustre sources for my RPM-based systems, and I'd similarly like to
be able to do "make debs" to do whatever is needed to give me .deb
packages for my Deb-based systems instead of just doing "make install"
and having the files placed into system directories.

Having upstream packages doesn't really help me in this regard, nor
does it help anyone that needs to apply a patch or wants to test the
code from CVS.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.