[Lustre-discuss] Installation of Lustre on ubuntu /Debian

Patrick Winnertz patrick.winnertz at credativ.de
Thu Sep 11 03:56:30 PDT 2008

Bernd Schubert wrote on Wednesday 10 September 2008 at 18:11:09:
> On Wednesday 10 September 2008 16:39:59 Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 03:55 -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > > Also, I'd be happy to include the Debian packaging into the Lustre
> > > CVS repository so that e.g. "make debs" can be run to build the .deb
> > > packages, like "make rpms".  Unfortunately, my Debian-fu is low
> > > these days, so it would need to be in the form of a patch against
> > > Lustre, preferrably put in a bug.
> >
> > My dpkg-fu is pretty low too, but I have put together a /debian dir that
> > builds the patchless client (and the userspace tools of course).  The
> > problem I always seem to run into is that at some point between sitting
> > down at a fresh debian (ubuntu in my case) system and getting all
> > packages produced, including both modules and userspace tools, one has
> > to be root for at least some of the time.  IIRC, it's usually the
> > module-assistant part that needs you to be (real, not fakeroot) root.
>
> Why should you need to use module-assistent? All you need to do is to
> compile Lustre and put the .ko files into a debian package?
Yes. there is no need to use m-a if you only want to provide already compiled
modules to exactly defined kernel version.
But if you want to build several packages each for another kernel version it
would make more sense to build a source package which is later build against
the kernelversion.

> > I think there is some way to use m-a with "-u" to get around this but
> > even then IIRC, m-a was pretty unhappy until I put lustre
> > into /usr/share/modass/compliant.list which again, required root.
> >
> > Andreas, I'm not sure how you feel about it, but IMHO, its very
> > important that one can produce the full array of packages from a (say)
> > "make debs" in a lustre source pool without having to be(come) root at
> > any point in the process.
>
> I don't know if it is really important, since there is already a debian way
> to create packages. Actually in Lenny all packages are included and only
> the kernel modules have to be build, but even that can be easily done
> by "aptitude install lustre-source". And then building the modules with
> make-kpkg. Well o.k., I see your point when it comes to build a new lustre
> version, which is not in -stable yet. But for that there is always the
> possibility to backport the stuff from Debian Sid (unstable).
> All of this applies to Ubuntu as well.
Please also remember that debian has backports.org which belongs now to the
official debian infrastructure. Which backports.org it is possible to provide
newer version of lustre to stable users. That's what we want to use once lenny
is stable.
These packages will then be build from what is inside testing.

> > Would any of current debian package maintainers on this list like to
> > help us get to that point?
Yes, but I would suggest to use the debian infrastructure for providing
packages for debian users. (As ubuntu is based on debian the goal to provide
lustre to ubuntu users is also fullfilled).

Greetings
Winnie

--
Patrick Winnertz
Tel.: +49 (0) 2161 / 4643 - 0

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz