[Lustre-discuss] -i and -I options to mkfs.ext2

Roger Spellman roger at terascala.com
Thu Sep 11 06:06:38 PDT 2008

Thanks for the feedback.  I thought that the only things on the MDT is
meta-data, i.e. filenames, directory names, and inodes.

So, if the size of an Inode (-I) is 512, and if we can assume that
filename sizes are much less than 512 bytes, then perhaps the ratio of
inodes to space in the file system (-i) should be 1024.  Does this make
sense?

Why would you want the ratio of inodes to space in the file system to be
4096, unless you are expecting filenames of over 3k on average?

-Roger

Jakob Goldbach wrote
> No, you still need data blocks for directories to hold filenames.

Andreas Dilger Wrote