[Lustre-discuss] -i and -I options to mkfs.ext2

Thu Sep 11 06:41:08 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 09:06 -0400, Roger Spellman wrote:

> Why would you want the ratio of inodes to space in the file system to be
> 4096, unless you are expecting filenames of over 3k on average?

EAs (Extended Attributes) need to fit into the inode as well or else you
end up having to make an indirect allocation to hold the EAs which has a
performance impact due to the additional seeks.

We seem to get this question a lot.  I think the manual needs to capture
these details.  Sheila?

b.