[Lustre-discuss] Network MDT possible?

Ms. Megan Larko dobsonunit at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 13:16:10 PDT 2008

Hi,

General question:  I know that a Lustre filesystem may have only one
MGS running in-general and only one MDS for a specific lustre
filesystem (for example, /usrdisk and /admin1).   Is there a way in
which  a Lustre filesystem may have one MGS and one MDS which runs on
another machine in the network?

I have an MGS/MDS combo running right now.    I wish to add more disk
space to our Lustre clients, in this case as scratch space (not backed
up and cleaned out regularly).  I have no disks available in the
current MGS/MDS on which to create an MDT for the new /scr1 disk.  Can
I point the MGS to use a disk physically on another computer as the
MDT?

Lower priority question:  Is lustre a good tool for such a user
scratch disk system?   I selected lustre because it's fast and mounts
everywhere in our group.  If yes, may I combine, say one scratch disk
from computerA as an ost with fsname myscr and one scratch disk from
computerB as an ost with fsname myscr and have them used by the myscr
MDT (the OST's will not be on the same OSS)?

Enjoy your day,
megan