[Lustre-discuss] MDT and MGS

Mon Sep 29 07:20:14 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 01:42 +0200, Nico Budewitz wrote:
> It's not clear to me which informations/configurations are stored by
> the MGS.

All of the configuration information related to all filesystems that use
that MGS.

> I have two MDT's created on the MDS with the command
>
> 1. with MGS
> mkfs.lustre --mdt --mgs --fsname=aeifs1... /dev/drbd0
> MGS and MDT are sharing one partition

So this is a co-located MDT and MGS.

> 2. without MGS
> mkfs.lustre --mdt --fsname=aeifs2... /dev/drbd1
> MDT on a separate partition

You must have used an --mgsnode= to point this MDT to the MGS you
created above, yes?

> What could happen if I reformat
> mkfs.lustre --mdt --mgs --fsname=aeifs1... /dev/drbd0?

You will lose the configuration for both filesystems!

This is _exactly_ the reason that we recommend a separate MGS for
installations that have even a notion of wanting more than one
filesystem.

> Is there any influence to the second MDT by reformat the first MDT
> with --mgs option?

Indeed, as above.

b.