[Lustre-discuss] MDT and MGS

Jeff Darcy jeffd at sicortex.com
Mon Sep 29 07:34:00 PDT 2008

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> This is _exactly_ the reason that we recommend a separate MGS for
> installations that have even a notion of wanting more than one
> filesystem.

I just checked, and the current Lustre operations manual (v1.14, updated
September 19) does not seem to reflect that belief; even the "more
complex configurations" offer mkfs.lustre commands that give a combined
MGS/MDT.  In any case, my experience has been that customers are often
reluctant to carve a whole LUN out of their disk arrays for so little
data, and partitioning can have undesirable performance impacts.  Has
any consideration been given to ways of storing the MGS information
within a file on an existing filesystem instead of requiring on a
separate block device?  I'm tempted to suggest doing this via the
loopback driver, since the MGS data-change rate is so low anyway.