[Lustre-discuss] MDS backup and restore fail

dan dan at nerp.net
Fri Apr 3 22:32:30 PDT 2009

Hi List,

I was switching MDS servers, all new hardware.  I followed the backup and
restore procedures in the manual and some tips from the list.  When it was
all said and done the OSTs mounted up and I could mount a client just fine.
 It seemed like everything was fine until I realized all the files on the
system are zero length instead of 100's of GB.  What happened?

Background:

I used rsync -aXvv.  It was very very slow over ssh or native rsync so I
mounted the old MDS partition via NFS on the new server - I think this
might be the problem.  Do the extended attributes transfer over NFS?

Some files in /ROOT ended up being 80 MB instead of the normal 512 byte MDT
files.  The original file system was 794 MB, the new one is 166 GB.

I can create new files that are normal.  Performance is good.

I'm currently running e2fsck to build the databases for lfsck.  Will that
help or hurt this problem?  What's the best way to recover from this?
Thank you!

Dan